The N.U.P.W was founded January 22nd, 1944, registered as a Trade Union on October 15, 1964, and was formerly called the Civic Service Association until October 1971, when the name was changed to The National Union of Public Workers to reflect the changing composition of the membership of the organization.
The first secretariat headquarters of the Barbados Civil Service Association was located at Spry Street.
In 1968, the Association acquired its first permanent headquarters at “BACSA House”, Belmont Road, St. Michael.
In 1979, the Union acquired more spacious surroundings for its operations at “Dalkeith House”, Dalkeith Road, St. Michael.
1985 saw the formation of the Public Workers’ Academy, the first of its kind in the Caribbean offering a wide range of courses to Trade Union members locally and regionally.
The National Union Of Public Workers Union
N.U.P.W. has a membership of over 10,000 strong and represents all categories of government workers including casual employees, clerical staff, senior and managerial staff, security officers, employees in the legal services, health, education, revenue collection, welfare, statutory boards, etc.
We are professionals when it comes to representing government workers and giving individual representation.
N.U.P.W. Impacts on the formulation and administration of Government Policy.
In recent times, a lot of emphasis has been placed on productivity and Public Sector Reform. The N.U.P.W. is continuously making its input to ensure the total well-being of the workers is protected, while supporting the policy of efficiency and productivity.